The Great Adventure

     Once there lived a man who had worked hard all his life. At last the day came when he retired and could please, himself what he did.
     after a few weeks, he said to his wife.
     I am still in my health and strength. I want to see something of the world. I want to meet dragons, magicians and leprechauns with pots of gold. I want to help old ladies who are really fairy godmothers. Other people do these things. I have read about them in books and I would like to do them, too."
    Very well, dear, if that is what you want," smiled his wife." You go on your great adventure, but I would prefer to satay at home. Adventures sound so tiring to me."
     So the man set off on his horse. Barely two hours, journey down the road, he saw a workman breaking up rocks.
     "Aha!' thought the man. "That must be a leprechaun. It I speak to him politely he will give me a pot of gold."
     He went up to the workman and said.
     "Good morning I think leprechauns are wonderful people, so hard-working and kind. Do you by any chance know where there is a pot of gold?"
The workman, wishing to get rid of this strange traveler, replied.
    "Yes, at the end of that rainbow."
     And, he pointed with his hammer to a rainbow going down into the ruins of an old manor house. The man hurried across, and hidden in the house, he found a chest of gold coins which had been concealed there years before by one of the old owners.
     "Wonderful!" beamed the man . I knew all those fairy stories were true."
     Also lying in the ruins of the manor house, the man found a painting of a dragon. As he was so interested in dragons he look it with him. Later in the day, as he was eating at an inn, a man in a midnight-blue cloak looked at the picture and said.
     "That is the work of the famous painter Giotto. I will give you these jewels in exchange for it."
     The man agreed, thinking that because the other man wore a midnight-blue cloak, he must be a magician.
     Feeling very pleased, the man continued his journey and found an old lady wishing to cross a stream. He let her ride on his horse, so that she did not get her feet wet.
     "Thank you so much for helping me," she smiled. " Do sit under this tree and share my supper."
And she gave the man a magnificent meal.
     "Only a fairy godmother could give me a meal like this," thought the man."There is no need or me to journey further."
     He hurried home to his wife and said.
     "All those stories about leprechauns and wizards and fairies are true. I have met them all today and I am a rich man. Now I am satisfied and we can live in comfort for the rest of our days.
    "Which show how useful it is in life to have a little faith."
No comments :

No comments :

Post a Comment